Sunday, July 19, 2015

'I'm living on borrowed time': Terminal breast cancer sufferer creates bucket list of things to do before she dies

Rowena Kincaid with terminal breast cancer creates bucket list

When the consultant told Rowena Kincaid the words she'd been dreading - 'we're in trouble' - her life changed.

If the 39-year-old from Cardiff lives to October, she will have defied all the doctors' expectations.

'I'm painfully aware I'm living on borrowed time,' said the former picture editor, who is determined to live the rest of her life to the full.

When the consultant told Rowena Kincaid the words she'd been dreading - 'we're in trouble' - her.....
life changed.

If the 39-year-old from Cardiff lives to October, she will have defied all the doctors' expectations.

'I'm painfully aware I'm living on borrowed time,' said the former picture editor, who is determined to live the rest of her life to the full.

Rowena was determined to treat 2010 as a fresh start - free from cancer.

After 11 months off work, she went back to her role as a picture editor for the BBC.

Although she was fatigued from the chemotherapy, she started to go to the gym again and went out with her friends. 'I started enjoying life again,' she said.



Rowena has made a documentary called Before I Kick the Bucket, which will be broadcast on Tuesday.

'After I had my terminal diagnosis, my friend asked if I had a bucket list and that got me thinking,' she said.

'I did feel that if I didn't have one, I'd miss out on something.

'I was like a rabbit in the headlights. I felt like my life was in fast forward and there was more pressure to do spectacular things, but I couldn't think of what I wanted to do.'

The first thing Rowena thought of doing was running naked down Queen Street to get arrested. She also bought herself a sports car and has tried out a coffin dressed as Wonder Woman.

Searching for inspiration, she put a plea out on social media and was overwhelmed by the response.

She started filming last autumn and has met people from all over the UK who have terminal illnesses.

Following her research, Rowena says she is now more relaxed about having a bucket list, instead choosing to 'cherish the little things'.

Her main goal is now to reach her 40th birthday in December and she is already planning a party at Cardiff Castle.

'Unfortunately, the cancer's spreading and I know I'm now living on borrowed time. I want to raise awareness about the diversity of terminal diseases and about how people live with them day-to-day.

'You pass people in the street and would never know anything was wrong.

'But behind the surface, there's hardship, heartache, laughter and life. That is what I want to show the world.'

Culled - DailyMail

Share your thoughts....thanks!


No comments:

Post a Comment