Tuesday, July 10, 2012

You have to read this: Issues in hepatitis management

Early this year, I raised the alarm about the poor knowledge and attitude, by both patients and some medical practitioners, about the endemic called hepatitis in Nigeria. Less than 24 hours after the article was published in
Daily Trust and The PUNCH, I got no less than 100 emails from Nigerians on this disease. I had always questioned the veracity of public statistics, but the gale of email messages I received made me to change my stand: those statistics by the World Health Organisation and other agencies about the prevalence of one disease or another are not far from real. While reading up on hepatitis shortly after I was diagnosed in 2009, I got to know that more than 400 million people are infected the world over and 20 million in Nigeria. I doubted it, but now I am convinced. 20 million means 1 out of every 7 Nigerians has hepatitis. It’s no longer about some pseudo-researchers sitting in one air-conditioned room and fabricating statistics, it is very real. I have received emails from no less than 200 Nigerians, 95 per cent of whom are also hepatitis patients, since my article was published. I still receive till now from people that must have bumped into the piece recently.
If out of the very limited population of Daily Trust and PUNCH readers, 200 people have and are aware they have hepatitis infection, I wonder how many other readers have it but don’t know. Not to mention the multitude of newspaper non-readers or illiterate people out there that are infected but don’t know. We cannot run away from it any longer, the 20 million hepatitis prevalence rate cannot be far from real. I am now very convinced.
Apart from co-patients, among the people that got in touch with me after the article were a few medical doctors. I must commend the erstwhile Chief Medical Director of a top Federal Government-owned hospital in the north who was very passionate about the points I raised in my earlier article and compared notes with me, despite not being a gastroenterologist or hepatologist. He was humble enough to refer us to his colleagues, one in Abuja, the other in Ibadan, whom he stuck his neck out for. A couple of other medical doctors also got in touch and we shared ideas on how awareness could be increased on this silent killer. A gastroenterologist faulted my emphasis on fibroscan and omission of liver biopsy as a reliable procedure for knowing liver status. I concede that biopsy, which is available in Nigerian hospitals, especially teaching hospitals, can equally be used as a means of checking liver fibrosis and cirrhosis, but being an invasive process, it definitely carries greater risk than fibroscan as a means of testing for liver damage. There is also the limitation that since liver is a very large organ, the portion pinned for test in biopsy procedure may not be fully representative of the condition of the whole liver, as parts other than that sampled for biopsy may be damaged whereas the portion cut for test may be healthy. This is why I believe we should find a way of introducing fibroscan technology to Nigeria.
Unfortunately, among those that contacted me was a young medical doctor, who, rather than let us compare notes, hauled insults at me for questioning the knowledge of some medical personnel on hepatitis management in Nigeria. There was however another young medical doctor, who, through our conversation, heard for the first time the test called hbsag quantification, as different from viral load (HBV DNA). He was humble enough to promise to read up on it and update his knowledge.
The above said, I concede that this knowledge gap is a reflection of the Nigerian system as a whole, and not only limited to medical practice. I therefore tender my apologies for hitting medical personnel too hard in my first article. Yet I believe, even in the face of these limitations, our medical personnel, like practitioners in other fields, can do more.
Also worthy of mention is the lamentation I received from some co-patients that they were denied jobs because of hepatitis infection. A young man narrated how a bank took back a job it offered him because his pre-employment medical test showed he was hepatitic. This is discrimination that should not be allowed. In as much as a prospective job applicant is in a proper physical or mental state, being a hepatitis carrier should not be a hindrance to his opportunities, except of course for a job that has to do with working with blood, like nurses and laboratory scientists. I also changed job between the period I wrote my last article and now, and my pre-employment medicals showed hepatitis infection, but my very mature employers still offered me the job. This is how it should be. I hope government will look into this and sanction employers that discriminate against hepatitis carriers.
Hepatitis is still a cause for concern in Nigeria and it is under-reported. The awareness is low, that is why it continues to spread at an alarming rate in this country. Employers and schools can consider a scheme for testing people under them and giving vaccination for those that are still negative while those that are positive can begin management process. The cost of prevention is too insignificant to be ignored.

-Adamu, a Chemical Engineer, wrote in from 1004 Estate, Lagos, via johndeadamu@yahoo.com


...Share your thoughts...thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment