Sunday, March 18, 2012

Help! I’ve been abandoned – Laments victim of industrial accident...


Life may never remain the same again for 26-year-old Elizabeth Bassey, following the tragic incident that resulted in her losing her
right hand. The mother of one is currently battling hard to adjust to her present condition as she tries to use her left hand to do everything . Presently, she covers her amputated right hand with a scarf, apparently to avoid causing a stare.
Although, it has been four months since the unfortunate incident happened, the Akwa-Ibom state born light-complexioned lady is still going through excruciating pains from the scars of the injury.
She alleged that her employers, Namoh Industries, her employers, situated at Ogba road, Ikeja,where she worked as a casual worker with a paltry monthly salary of N13,000 abandoned her.

But in this trying period,  Lizzy as she is fondly called, said her company never visited her in the hospital. Narrating the company’s neglect in tears, she said, “During my stay in the hospital, it was only Moses, one of the workers  who stood  by me before the arrival of my mother. Unfortunately, he was sacked later for not reporting for duty during that period he assisted me in the hospital.  Since then, nobody from the management level deemed it wise to come and visit me.

“I am therefore demanding for compensation , not just because of the shabby way they treated me but because when I went for my January 2012 salary, I was only given N5,000, against the N13,000 I was supposed to collect. Tell me, which company will want to employ my service in this present state?”

However, one David Babani, who claimed to be the  company’s Managing Director, expressed regret on the tragic incident but described as untrue, claims by the victim that she was abandoned by the company.
Rather, he said: “As soon as the incident happened, the company did everything to make Elizabeth comfortable, including footing all her medical bills and more. I must confess that I am not happy with the turn out of things. In fact, her family took her to three different hospitals and we paid for everything they asked for. I expected the family to be grateful for all that the company did.
“All money was paid without any argument.  Also, a visit at the branch office at Ogba, where the incident happened corroborated the MD’s position, as the Admin Manager, who simply gave his name as Famous said, “I personally visited the hospital the next day to see Elizabeth and also made provision for N150,000 which was received by her boyfriend, Sabastine. But I am shocked at the indictment .

The company, he said, was  already making moves to get her an artificial hand as requested by Elizabeth. But the delay “is because doctors said we’ll have to wait for the hand to  be properly dried  before introduction of an artificial hand will be made. We are therefore, waiting for the hand to get dried”, he said.
Asked what would become the fate of Elizabeth, considering her present state, Famous replied : “We even want her to come and start working as soon as she likes. It’s better for her to keep being busy by  mixing with people than to stay idle.

But Elizabeth still maintained her ground, insisting  she was not aware of any payment by her company, estimating  all her family had spent since the incident occurred at N500,000.

No comments:

Post a Comment