Saturday, January 31, 2015

[PHOTO] ‘I confessed to our pastor after every robbery operation’ - Mr David Chineye

David-Chineye
David Chineye
29-year David Chineye was among eight suspected members of a trans-border robbery gang arrested by the Lagos State Police Command last week. The Imo State-born suspect who claimed to be married to a.....
Benin Republic-based Togolese, gave a startling confession on the gang’s operation in Benin and Mali, during an exclusive interview with Crime Guard.
Chineye who admitted to be the gang’s informant, revealed that his union with his wife, made it easy for him to study the terrain in Cotonou, Benin Republic, thereby facilitating the gang’s entry into the country.

Members of his gang reportedly stormed a micro finance bank in Porto Novo, Benin Republic, last November, from where they carted away the equivalent of N100 million.

Chineye who gave his operational name as Ishola, said he masterminded the robbery operation at the financial institute, adding that it took him two days to study the terrain before inviting other members of the gang over. He further told Crime Guard that the gang was planning to extend its operations to Togo when they were arrested.

I go for confession after each operation

The father of one who was full of remorse said that his pastor and members of his church, whose name he gave as Christ Ascension Church, Benin Republic branch, would be shocked beyond imagination when news of his arrest reach them.

According to him: “ I am a dedicated church worker. Nobody knew I was an armed robber. Every time I returned from any operation, my conscience would prick me. Thereafter, I would go to church for confession but would never disclose the exact sin I committed.

My wife didn’t know I was a robber either. This is because I stay in Benin Republic where she is permanently based for two months, before returning to Nigeria, where she believed I was working. I usually visited Benin Republic when we wanted to rob and would leave after investing my loot. This is to allow me get hints on the outcome of the operation, in terms of Police investigation.”

Frustration led me into robbery

At a point, he burst into tears, begging for his wife’s forgiveness when she hears about his involvement in crime. He stated that he never envisaged to go into robbery but that frustration forced him into it.

“It all started after my apprenticeship in a pharmaceutical store, back in Owerri, the Imo state capital. My master refused to pay me off. Rather, he claimed that the money he ought to have settled me with was spent on the treatment of my ailing brother few months back. I left in anger and worked as a bus conductor until the engine of the bus got knocked.

I was idle for some months, during which I met my wife who was visiting Nigeria for the first time. I went to Benin Republic with her, where I met some friends who introduced me into robbery. I started by breaking into peoples’ apartments, but it was not lucrative because at times, I won’t get anything from the houses”.

Culled - Vanguard

Drop a comment.....thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment